February 15, 1925 - January 30, 2022
Jerzy (George) Kowalski was born on Sunday, February 15th, 1925 to Andrew and Adela (Zawistoska) Kowalski in Helenowo, Poland. On February 22nd, 1925 he was baptized at Saints Peter and Paul Church in the city of Czyżewo, in western Poland. Here his formative years were spent attending both elementary and high school. He was born the fourth youngest of 7 boys and 4 girls. In 1943, when he was 18 years old, he entered the Salesian Seminary where he studied philosophy and theology, and later became a member of that Community. On Friday, June 29th, 1956, the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Jerzy Kowalski, aged 31 years, was ordained a priest in the city of Kraków, Poland by Bishop Franciszek Job. After ordination he served in Poland as an assistant at three parishes until he was made pastor of the Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Biała near Poznań. He served there as pastor for three years. In 1971, at age 46, he decided to leave Poland for work in the United States. In 1979, at age 54, he became a U.S. citizen and was also incardinated unto the Archdiocese of Detroit by Cardinal Dearden. He first served as an assistant at St. Aloysius in Romulus, then in the same capacity at Queen of Apostles in Hamtramck, St. Bartholomew in Detroit, St. Mel in Dearborn Heights, Our Lady of Good Council in Plymouth and St. Cletus in Warren. In 1989 he became the pastor of St. Helena, here in Wyandotte, where he served for nine years. At the same time he also became the Chaplain of Wyandotte Hospital. In 1998 at age 73, Fr. Kowalski retired, but continued to be of help at St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish in Wyandotte until it was closed. After that he helped with confessions at Our Lady of the Scapular and frequently concelebrated Masses there. When he was no longer able to help at the parish, he continued to generously support the parish both spiritually and materially. He departed from this world at his home in Southgate early Sunday morning, January 30th and will rest now in Mount Carmel Cemetery in Wyandotte.