History & Facilities
Holy Cross Cemetery was organized about the year 1850 in what was then Springwells Township, a suburb of the City of Detroit. Over the years, property was added to the original area which is now known as Section B. The current property is at 40 acres, and Springwells Township is now part of Southwest Detroit.
Although the neighborhood has changed over the years, Holy Cross has still maintained its beauty and dignity with plantings and greenery, and many majestic family memorials, some of which are statuary in nature, but inspirational also. Many of the names on these memorials are dedicated to noted names and families of Detroit and the Downriver Community among whom are John Kronk, noted Detroit City Councilman and who gave his name to the Kronk Athletic Center in Detroit; many priests and clergy are interred here such as Fr. Joseph Dustin, CSSR, the famous banjo-playing priest of Holy Redeemer Parish; many priests from the Redemptorist Order are here; Funeral Directors such as Pinkos, Czopek, Solosy are here. So many people of various backgrounds and nationalities and occupations all repose here in eternal memory and peace. This is the feeling we hope that everyone who visits at Holy Cross Cemetery leaves with - a feeling of peace and tranquility, and a symbol to our Catholic faith.
- Granite Niches available
- Flush and upright granite memorials
- Bench memorials